Big Sky Vernon Team Member Anne Crone is back to share the benefits of foam rolling with us.
Foam Rolling… the poor man’s massage! Foam rolling uses self-massaging techniques to get similar benefits to a “deep tissue massage” without shelling out the greenbacks. Sweet!!
It doesn’t matter if you’re a gym rat or a desk jockey – using a foam roller as part of a regular exercise plan can help improve circulation, release knots in muscles, and can help muscles repair and heal faster.
To say it simply, it’s a really affordable way to take care of your body. You just perform foam rolling techniques (exercises) or self-myofascial release.
Self-myo what?!?! Myofascial release is a body work technique in which a therapist uses gentle, pressure on the soft tissues to eliminate pain and restore motion. This technique results in softening and lengthening (release) of the fascia and breaking down scar tissue or adhesions between skin, muscles and bones.
What’s fascia? Fascia is a band or sheath of connective tissue investing, supporting, or binding together internal organs or parts of the body.
What exactly are the benefits of foam rolling?
- Destressing your body.
- Preventing injury and helping you recover faster.
- Reducing inflammation, scar tissue and joint stress, as well as improving circulation and improving flexibility.
- Breaking up scar tissue and adhesions between the skin, muscles and bones, which is crucial for a healthy body.
- Pre-workout foam rolling also increases mobility.
How, When and Where to Use a Foam Roller?
- Roll back and forth across stiff or painful areas for 30 to 60 seconds.
- A “hurts-so-good” sensation is acceptable. “Ready to climb the walls” pain is not.
- Avoid rolling over bony areas, such as your kneecaps, hip bones and cervical or lumbar spine (neck and low back area).
- Be careful rolling over a severely painful area. Too much direct pressure could worsen already inflamed tissues.
Check out this quick Gym Tip on foam rolling: https://bigskyfitness.com/big-sky-fitness-gym-tip-66-foam-rolling
Still not sure how to use a foam roller? See anyone at the front desk to make an appointment with a Big Sky Personal Trainer!
Always remember… Better Gyms. Better Workouts. Better RESULTS!
To sign up for a FREE 10-Day Personal Training Experiece, click HERE!
Members and Non-Members Welcome!