Meatloaf – with a Healthy Twist!
Enjoy this guest post from Big Sky New Britain Master Trainer Maggie Nelson. Maggie has her bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, as well as her NASM CPT and Precision Nutrition Certification. She is passionate about teaching people to live a happy, healthy, and balanced life.
The chilly New England weather is upon us, and nothing says comfort food like meatloaf. Not only is this an easy recipe to add to your rotation, as well as great for meal prep, but it’s packed with lean protein and hidden veggies for a complete meal. It pairs well with potatoes, rice, or a simple side salad for an even bigger kick of vegetables!
The base of this recipe is ground turkey, although you can easily swap it out for ground beef or pork. The turkey helps keep it a little bit lower in fat – but don’t let that fool you. This meatloaf is still FULL of flavor and spices the whole family will love. Enjoy!
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
⅓ cup tomato sauce *additional ½ cup for topping
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds ground turkey (93% lean)
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
2 tablespoons parsley chopped
1 cup zucchini finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook onion and butter in a pan until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Cool.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Let sit 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix just until combined, do not overmix.
- Form into a loaf about 4″ wide and 3″ Bake for 35 minutes.
- Spread additional tomato sauce on top and bake an additional 20 minutes or until center of meatloaf reaches 165°F.
Nutrition Facts – ⅛ of Meatloaf – 245 Calories – 17g Carbs – 31g Protein – 5g Fat
Recipe from Spend with Pennies Blog
Find another great guest post from Maggie here!