Enjoy this guest post from Big Sky New Britain Coach Maggie Nelson. Maggie has her bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, as well as her NASM CPT and Precision Nutrition Certification. She is passionate about teaching people to live a happy, healthy, and balanced life.
One Pot Chicken and Rice “Soup”
It starts out looking like soup, but by the end all the broth is soaked up and it’s a hearty thick meal. This is a great, gluten free, cozy winter meal that makes a lot of servings! It’s best done with high quality rice so it doesn’t get mushy. The rice soaks up all of the favors, so add any spice you love. It’s a great use for leftover veggies as well.
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups long grain wild rice
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried garlic
2 tablespoons parsley akes
8 cups chicken stock
2 small chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces, or 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped spinach (optional)
- Heat a skillet on the stove with 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil. If using oil, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add carrots and cover for 5 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, onion, and garlic and stir to coat
- Add parsley and chicken stock and stir so rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. Increase heat and
bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes stirring
- Add 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste, and 1 cup chopped spinach
The flavors develop as the meal sits, so be sure to cover it and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition – Recipe Makes 6 servings
360 Calories – 22g Protein/ 39g Carbs/ 11g Fat